Saturday 17 March 2007

Prayer

A few weeks ago, in my role as Pastoral leader, I was asked to take one of the House assemblies. I readily agreed but it was only after agreeing that I found out that the theme was “Prayer!” At this point I began to ask whether the House leader’s meeting was really that important! Consequently, I began to think about what I was going to say.

Two days before the assembly one of my prayers was answered when one of our cover supervisors offered to take the assembly.

His assembly was a million times better than I could have done. He pitched the level just right and the pupils were truly attentive to his interactive presentation.

Yet at the end I was left with the feeling that something was missing. It took a while for me to realise that he never once mentioned giving thanks to God. It reminded me that we are very quick to ask God for help and advice but very slow to say “thank you”.

I’m not very good at formal prayer; but the lines from one of the ‘Crocodile Dundee’ films, where Mick Dundee says, “God and me, we be mates!” gives me great hope. So I tend to have conversations with God for, as it says in the prayer diary, I try to “pray as I can, not as I can’t”.
In our busy lives we can still find time for informal chats with God. Prayer in all of its forms is powerful.


Oh, almost forgot, yes I did remember to say “thank you”
for God’s intervention in the assembly.

God Bless
John

No comments: