Saturday 17 March 2007

Dedication

It’s been a really good year for major anniversaries. During the year we remembered two 60th anniversaries; the end of the war in Europe and the end of the war in the Far East.

In October we celebrated the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar when the English Fleet under Nelson and Collingwood defeated the combined fleet of the French and Spanish.
Just last week we celebrated the 400th anniversary of the failed Gunpowder plot to destroy James I and his Parliament.


Today, on Remembrance Sunday, we remember, principally, all those men and women who died in the two world wars. Yet British service men and women continue to die in the service of this country. Throughout the whole of the twentieth century there were only three years when British service men and women did not die on active service.

Perhaps, as we remember all of those who have died for our continuing safety, we should take note of Nelson’s prayer before the battle of Trafalgar:

May the Great God, whom I worship, grant for my Country, and for the benefit of Europe in general, a great and glorious Victory; and may no misconduct in anyone tarnish it; and may humanity after Victory be the predominant feature in the British fleet.

For myself, individually, I commit my life to Him who made me, and may his blessing light upon my endeavours for serving my Country faithfully. To Him I resign myself and the just cause which is entrusted to me to defend. Amen, Amen, Amen.

Yes he does pray for Victory but he also prays for humanity in Victory. More importantly he dedicates his life to God and asks for his blessing on his endeavours. We may not be as great as Nelson but we can all dedicate ourselves to serving God in whichever way he chooses for us.

John

No comments: