Saturday 3 March 2007

Mike Statham (who passed away in February 2006)

I’m sure for most of us this past week has been overshadowed by the sad news of Mike Statham’s death. A harsh reminder to most of us that we don’t know what life has waiting for us. It certainly reminded me that I should make the most of what I have today.

The majority of us have comfortable and pleasant lives and it is a shame if can’t appreciate what we have. The simple things in life that we probably take for granted are forgotten or ignored. We can waste a lot of time and energy wishing for some elusive “thing” that will make our lives “even better”, and to what end? The things we really ought to worry about, such as forgiveness and what happens after death, have already be taken care of. Jesus.

I’m not suggesting we should be self-indulgent or inward looking, that is not the way we, as Christians, should be. I am reminded though we need to take time out today and look around at all we have and be thankful. I am also reminded that “living for today” can mean not putting off doing something for someone else.

Mike’s faith had grown considerably since he came to St. Martin’s and he was always putting it into practice. He was always willing to help others in whatever way he could, and always with a smile on his face. Mike, thank you for your example and your witness, rest in peace with God.

Yours in Christ, Richard


Editors note: a banner made in the memory of Mike will be unveiled in St Martin's on Sunday March 11th 2007 at the 10am service.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this entry and as Mike's sister it obviously caught my eye. I can't agree more about the importance of giving thanks for all that we have. I've just come back from Cuba, and whilst in many senses things are materially better there for people than most 3rd world countries, it still reminds me how incredibly fortunate I am in the UK, to have running water every day, a warm home with a roof that doesn't leak, the freedom to hold hold whatever opinions I wish and the opportunity to acheive whatever I choose in life, with a bit of work.