Saturday 17 March 2007

Mike (Newsletter 11th March 2007)

When it was fist suggested that a banner be created in memory of Mike, I was overwhelmed. Today as we dedicate the completed banner I am still just as emotional. It is a most wonderful tribute to Mike from St Martin's that you want to commemorate him in this way. He would be astounded; he was a very humble man. However he would have loved the idea of fifteen women sewing for him! The banner is more beautiful than I could have imagined. I can't thank enough the women who have given so willingly of their time, energy and skills. In particular I am indebted to Carol Smith and Gill Beasley for the part they have played in designing the banner, organising us sewers and making it happen. They have opened their homes, been inspirational and given so much to see this through to fruition. I will always be most grateful to you all. Though we have been wielding the needles, I am very aware that without the financial support of many more, and those who donated fabrics and silks, the banner might not have been created. I am touched by your generosity. It is a great comfort to know that this church, that Mike loved, will always remember him in this physical way. What could a more fitting legacy of a lovely man who was much loved? On behalf of all the family, Carrie and myself, I thank you all so much.

Sue Keys– Statham.

No comments: