Monday 11 October 2010

A Spiritual Challenge

At the end of August this year, I had the privilege and pleasure of visiting the Anglican and Catholic cathedrals in Liverpool. In the Catholic Cathedral I picked up a pray card which I'd like to share with you:

LORD, TEACH ME TO PRAY

I cannot pray OUR, if my faith has no room for others and their need.

I cannot pray FATHER, if I do not demonstrate this relationship to God in my daily living.

I cannot pray WHO ART IN HEAVEN, if I am not striving, with God's help, to be holy.

I cannot pray YOUR KINGDOM COME, if I am unwilling to accept God's rule in my life.

I cannot pray YOUR WILL BE DONE, if I am unwilling or resentful of having it in my life.

I cannot pray ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN, unless I am truly ready to give myself to God's service here and now.

I cannot pray GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD, without expending honest effort for it, or if I would withhold from my neighbour the bread that I receive.

I cannot pray LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION, if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.

I cannot pray DELIVER US FROM EVIL, if I am not prepared to fight evil with my life and my prayer.

I cannot pray YOUR KINGDOM COME, if I am unwilling to obey the King.

I cannot pray YOURS IS THE POWER AND THE GLORY, if I am seeking power for myself and my own glory first.

I cannot pray FOR EVER AND EVER, if I am too anxious about each day's affairs.

I cannot pray AMEN, unless I honestly say, "Cost what it may, this is my prayer."

God bless, Jackie.

No comments: