Monday 11 October 2010

Knowing When To Let Go

One of the difficulties with church work is knowing when you should stop doing a particular job. It wasn't long after joining St Martin's that I started helping Jessica with the children's group, a task I did for quite a long time. After being involved in something for a long period it can be very difficult to let go, particularly when there doesn't seem to be anyone to take over from you. But its important to be aware of God's leading because it is possible to go from being an asset to a work to being a hindrance, so some time ago I gave up working with the Sunday Groups.

Around the same time I made it clear that I felt it was right for me to come off the Ministry team, due to circumstances this didn't happen at that time, but now Phill and Penny have joined the ministry team I feel it is right for me to resign, which I have done.

It probably appears now that I gave up these tasks to become churchwarden, but at the time I had no thought of being churchwarden in fact I was worried that if I gave up these jobs I would be doing nothing. It was only when I was prepared to trust God and let go of these jobs that I realised (rather reluctantly) what the next job God wanted me to do.

Its our human nature that tends to want things mapped out, but I think God calls us to take steps of faith one at a time trusting Him not necessarily knowing were they are leading.

No comments: