Monday 19 November 2007

‘The God Delusion’: Newsletter 14th October 2007

Some years ago I saw a notice in a shopping centre which had the usual negative sign – “No Cycling, No Skating, No Skateboarding” ,to which someone had added – “No point in living!”
I have been reminded of this during the past few months when I have read my weekly comic – The New Scientist - because in it they have given much space to Richard Dawkins and his book ‘The God Delusion’.


I have to say they have been fair and balanced and have given equal space to his detractors. Dawkins is a vociferous atheist and, although it may be the wrong use of the word, is quite evangelical about it.

I feel quite saddened that some people have not come to know our God or his son Jesus Christ and often wonder what they believe is the point of life.

I remember attending a humanist funeral at a local crematorium where, we were told, there would be absolutely no allusion to religion. The “service” took place in front of the most powerful symbol of our faith, the Cross, and the candles were lit throughout. The space in the proceedings usually left for prayers had a reflection on the life of the recently departed. The words used, however, drew strongly on the Old Testament especially Ecclesiastes and Proverbs. Once again I was troubled that the person who had died and his family were left with no hope for the future – death was the end there was no chance of resurrection.

I cannot understand a life without a strong belief in God and his son Jesus Christ. He has been gracious to me and has granted me many blessings and I will continue to live in the love of Christ. Perhaps these words at the start of Hymn 52 (MP) go some way to expressing my thoughts;
“God sent His son, they called him Jesus;
He came to love, heal and forgive;
He lived and died to buy my pardon,
an empty grave is there to prove my saviour lives.
Because He lives I can face tomorrow;
Because He lives all fear is gone;
Because I know He holds the future,
And life is worth living because He lives.

God Bless

John

No comments: