Monday 8 September 2008

Peace

A few weeks ago Simon, in his sermon, remarked on all the stress so many people seem to be under through work, with so little time for themselves or anything else. He told us that in the ‘60’s it was predicted that in the future, only 22 hours would make up a working week, and speculation arose about how to fill the extra time we might have on our hands. It seems not to have worked out like that, and most people, whether in work or retired, seem as busy and stressed as ever, with little or no time to spare. Simon quoted Matthew Chap.11v28; when Jesus said;
‘Come to me all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest.’


This is perhaps something that we do not always do, but, if we do go to Jesus with our worries, concerns and heavy burdens, He is there to share our load, to lighten our burden, and lead us into the quiet waters, of peace and tranquillity. We must just trust in Him. Another week, Simon read out the following revised version of the 23rd Psalm, which I find very helpful. Just to read it through is a very steadying experience and helps us remember Jesus is with us, however busy we are, or in whatever situation we may find ourselves, there is His calming and supportive presence to uplift and sustain us.

‘The Lord is my pace setter, I will not rush. He makes me stop and rest for quiet intervals.
He provides me with images of stillness, which restore my serenity. He leads me through ways of efficiency, through calmness of mind, and His guidance is peace.
Even though I have a great many things to accomplish each day,
I will not fret for His presence is there.
His timelessness, His all importance will keep me in balance.
He prepares refreshment and renewal in the midst of my activity,
By anointing my mind with His oils of tranquillity.
My cup of joyous energy overflows. Surely harmony and effectiveness shall be the fruits of my hours, for I shall walk in the pace of my Lord, and dwell in his house forever.

Peace be with you,
Doreen

No comments: