Monday 14 July 2008

Newsletter 13 July: The Drinkers Ministry

Over the last 18 months I have been a member of one of the teams involved in the Drinkers’ Ministry. Every Friday night from 8.30.pm until midnight a team of Christians, drawn from the churches across Walsall, sets up an area alongside St. Paul’s church to provide soup, tea, coffee, squash, biscuits and a listening ear for anyone who wants to stop and chat.

It has been a real education for me. At first I was frightened and inhibited, afraid I would not be able to cope if anyone was threatening or aggressive. But to date no-one has ever behaved like that towards us. People enquire about what we are doing; many joke about the soft drinks asking, “Is there any vodka in it?” Most people are really supportive and happy that we are there.

I am constantly surprised at the number of people who are prepared to stop and talk. But it has saddened me to meet so many people in desperate need of support. What has really shocked me is the number of homeless people who come to us: some are straight out of prison, others are drug addicts, prostitutes or alcoholics – people with real problems or addictions. But some are just like you and me – ordinary, decent people, who have fallen through the cracks in our society. It truly is a case of, “There but for the grace of God goI”

Imagine how heartbreaking it is on a freezing, wet December night not to be able to do more for these needy people. I have experienced great guilt after my sessions with the team: I leave these poor people to sleep in doorways or in derelict buildings while I go home to my safe, warm, comfortable house to sleep in a soft, cosy bed. It just doesn’t seem right.

Thankfully attitudes are changing and the team leaders are meeting with the Chief Executive of Walsall this week. Pray with all of your hearts that something good will result from this and some proper support will be put in place for the most needy and vulnerable people in our town.

“Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.” (Hebrews 13 v.2)

God bless, Jackie.

No comments: