Friday 18 January 2008

New Year Resoluttions: Newsletter 20th January 2008

Do you make New Year Resolutions, and after only a few weeks or even days, fall short of your goal? I am afraid that is what happens to me, and I think to many others. I read that, a New Year’s resolution is a commitment that an individual makes to a project or a habit, often a lifestyle change that is generally interpreted as advantageous. Perhaps you resolve to eat less, exercise more, do more to help the environment, be kinder to others or whatever. Do You find you make a resolution, having set your sights too high to actually be able to achieve the desired result? I do. One of my worst failings is that I tend to put off till tomorrow what I should be doing today. This year I am going to try to correct this and get down to doing all I should do when it is needed. I will make more time to read and study my Bible. I am going to try really hard, as it always seems that time is short and I say I’ll do it later, tomorrow, and then tomorrow also never seems to leave time enough. I suppose that if you fall short of your goals you should ask yourself what kept you from achieving them and try to make connections.

Perhaps, I should not try to read a whole large chapter of my Bible, but a few verses, that I can think about deeply and apply their teaching to my everyday life. I shall try to find a regular time to do this and with God’s help stick to this regular routine until I find it becomes second nature. Judaism’s Yom Kippur, is a time to reflect upon one’s wrong doings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. The concept, regardless of creed is to reflect upon self improvement annually. Can we do that? Not on our own, but with God’s help and strength, prayer and study of our Bibles I think maybe we can. I do hope and pray so.

God Bless, Doreen

No comments: