Monday 15 December 2008

Our Christmas Challenge

Every time I’ve turned on the radio or the television over the last few weeks there seems to be only one topic: the economic crisis. I’m not an economist, so I won’t pretend to understand all the complexities involved. Part of the problem is that none of the economists or politicians seems to know either, nor do they know how to get us out of the difficulty!

What I know for certain is that however difficult things become for us, (and they may become very difficult indeed in the years ahead), our hardships will not compare with those endured by our brothers and sisters in Darfur, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and many other places we could all name. Charitable giving is often one of the first casualties in an economic downturn, so we need to make sure we remember those worse off than ourselves.

In Matthew 25 v.35 + 36 Jesus said: “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” This is the inspiration for the majority of charities that exist in our country.

At this time of Advent, as we wait with mounting anticipation for the Christ Child, God’s Emmanuel, the light of the world, we remember that He was not born in a palatial home with central heating, en suite facilities and surround sound HD television. Jesus was born in a cold, uncomfortable, smelly stable surrounded by animals. The stressed and busy inn-keeper acted with compassion and sympathy towards this young couple whose child was about to be born. Our Christmas challenge is to do the same for our needy neighbours. If we are not salt and light for God then what are we?

God bless, Jackie.

No comments: