Monday 17 December 2007

Jesus – the best gift but is that all? Newsletter 16th December 2007

At Christmas we celebrate the greatest gift to mankind from our Heavenly Father, the gift of Jesus, God in human form in all its frailness and vulnerability. We can only imagine the smell and dirt as our Saviour was brought into this world in total humility. For me, Jesus is the best gift but I believe that God wants to give so much more.

Recently, the Alpha course had their away day to look at the Holy Spirit and I was asked to go along. I have been to others away days in the past, but this was the first that St. Martin’s arranged without another church. I have to admit that I had my doubts as to whether we would see the Holy Spirit move in the way that I have seen before.

Simon talked, we watched the Alpha video, we had the discussions and lunch had been eaten. Now the time for us to pray we those who wanted it, would anybody want to receive the Holy Spirit and would my influence help or hinder them? I am glad to say that there were many prayers said and in one instance, a particularly intense presence of the Spirit. I do not know what this experience meant for the person we were praying for, but I am believe that when the Holy Spirit gives such an experience there is a reason for it and for me it is exciting to see how a person develops and grows their faith.

Jesus left us the Holy Spirit as a gift and to be filled continually is something I believe the church should seek. More and more people in our church have been given an experience of the Holy Spirit and been left with a gift that has been used to build up the church. You may be aware of the words, dreams, etc people are getting relating to our church and I believe we are being prepared.

I hope and pray that we, as a church, can get to know the Holy Spirit and that we are open to His moving and the gifts He wants to bring to St. Martin’s. Jesus is the greatest gift, but why settle for this when there is so much more God wants for us?

May God’s love and peace be with you all, and with the ones you love.

Martin

No comments: